November 22, 1991
Yesterday was hectic, that is simply all that there is to it. It wouldn’t be so bad if Elders would all make their bus at the right time, but Elders miss buses, buses don’t run , and zone leaders plans to provide rides for Elders get frustrated.
Today was leaders’ meeting in Fresno. Leaders’ meeting was fun because I got to see a lot of old friends. Elder Clarke, Sorenson, Davis, Watson, Russon,and Brown were all there. President gave us a lot of information that should be quite helpful. Going to leaders’ meeting made me very grateful to be in the Asian program. All of the Asian Elders are really close. I wish that the whole mission could be like that. Elder Conrad and I decided that there are a lot of things that our zone has to do better. we really need to all get on the ball. Hopefully we can get to motivating some of the people in our zone so that it can catch fire.
I got a letter from Mom today. All seems to be well at home. She sent me 3 tapes of Christmas music, so I guess it is now time to start celebrating my last Christmas in the mission field.
We went on team-ups right after leaders’ meeting. i went with one of the youth in the branch and we taught 3 discussions tonight. This has made for a very busy day. i think I’ll go to sleep.
Nov 23, 1991
Today was kind of a lousy day. We couldn’t catch anyone at home. I think that every single Hmong person in this whole city went to a party today. It’s getting close to New Year’s Day, so everyone is either having parties or else they are preparing for parties. Anyway, the whole thing has proved quite discouraging. The other thing is that after having transfer days and leaders meeting, I hadn’t had the chance to schedule any appointments for today.
The Span-ams had a baptism today, so I went and unlocked the building, filled the font and locked things up after the baptism. It was encouraging to see a baptism, especially after a day like yesterday.
I got a letter from dad today. He seems to be doing well. he said that if I wanted to go into business with him when I get home, that he would be more than happy to have me do that. I’m not really sure what I’ll do anymore. There are certainly a lot of doctors who get divorced. i don’t know if being a doctor is worth the strain that it would put on my family life. I will give it some definite thought when I get home. I guess I’ll just have to wait until my mission is over, study it out and then find our what the Lord would have me to do.
Nov 24, 1991
Today is certainly the first day that I have hated being a zone leader. One of the Elders in my apartment get a phone call from a girl in Visalia. It is a girl that he has had some problems with as far as keeping a proper missionary relationship with her. Anyway, I had to got and call President Bott and then confronted the Elder with the problem and had him call President Bott. I wish that I didn’t have to do things like that. I mean, it is the kind of thing that had to be done, but I wish it wasn’t me. This Elder has had a lot of problems with his attitude and stuff, but hopefully we can get stuff straightened our. he is on the phone with President right now. We’ll just have to see how it goes.
Today at church was fairly discouraging. One of the members of our branch got married today so many of our members were at the wedding feast instead of church. We did, however, have 6 Hmong investigators and 5 Lao investigators come to church. CBI Lis’s family didn’t come through, so that was kind of a disappointment.
Nov 25, 1991
We didn’t get a P-day today because of Thanksgiving coming up. As a result, we spent the day working. I got a letter from Mom today. She seems to be doing well. She ha written to tell me that she sent in my scholarship application and that she had signed me up to got to St. John’s with Mr Jacobson next summer. I can’t wait to go scuba diving again! That is going to be the best!
We had a zone meeting tonight to talk about all of the things that President Bott told us at leaders meeting. I think that it went very well. After that, we had a District Leaders’ meeting. That also seemed to go fairly well. We are trying to come up with some good ways to get things going in this zone. We need to somehow jump-start the system. we are going to start, as a zone, having prayer at 6:15 am for the zone. Hopefully the Lord will help us to get things going.
President Bott came up this morning to talk to the Elder that was having the problem last night. After talking with President on the phone last night, the Elder talked to me for a while. It turns out that the reason he is having problems is that he is not sure that all of his sins of youth he has repented of. He used to be in a gang, etc…. Anyway, I called President Bott again and this morning to have him come and talk with the Elder. An Elder that isn’t worthy cannot succeed.
Nov 27, 1991
Today Good Day. 2 Discus. I’m hungry. Good discus…..
We went to see Tseem Lis and it went well. My comp is really sic still, so we didn’t get all that much done.
Nov 30, 1991
Well, after 2 P-days in a row it was certainly good to get back to work. However, being that it was Saturday, it was pretty tough to get things going. This weekend had been Hmong New Year up in Sacramento. Because so many people went up there for that, it was an especially hard day to catch anyone at home.
Thanksgiving was kind of a let down. We had an appointment with an American family for dinner, but cooking was definitely not that matriarch’s strong point. Anyway, I’ll sure be glad to get home to Mom’s home cooking.
No comments:
Post a Comment