Sunday, March 8, 2015

8/16-8/22/1991

Aug 16, 1991
Well, today was another wonderful day on bikes.  I really tried to fools President’s counsel in using wisdom with my knees.  As a result, we did not spend a gull 12 hours proselyting today.  We spend some time finding some new families to teach.  My legs are really sore.  I came home fro working today and took a hot shower, after which I put icy-hot analgesic rub on my knees.  The only problem is that it didn’t seem to help much.  I wish that I could disconnect my knees from my brain and fo to sleep at night.  I can tell all ready that it is going to be a long night.
I have learned lately that the Lord prepares and sets people up for their entire lives so that they will be able to accept the gospel.  It is not simply a matter of chance.  Those people who have accepted the gospel and been converted unto the Lord have been prepared for a lifetime to hear the gospel.
My job is to find those people.  I love my job!
I got a letter from Jennie today.  She is really turning into quite a young lady.  I really miss my family I hate when my knees hurt.  I feel like it’s not fair.  I hope that I can soon learn what the Lord wants me to so that my knees could quit hurting

Aug 17, 1991
Wow!  I can hardly believe that another week had passed.  One at a time, the weeks are just flying by.  Every week seems to go by faster than the one before.
Today was a pretty good day.  We were able to teach four discussions and work with quite a few people in addition to those four families Kao Lee and his wife have decided not to be baptized on the thirty- first.  They want to wait and learn some more before they decide.  We’ll just have to keep working with them and see how things turn out.
I got a letter and a card from Kristin today.  As a right now, she is in Heber, Arizona unpacking.  I am so glad to have her out of Provo that I can’t believe it.  Now she can write to me and I can send her stuff without her feeling like she is being judged by everyone around her.  Besides that, I am over joyed to have her away from all of the guys at BYU.  I am really happy for her.  She set a goal to be done with school and get a job and she did it.  I think that is super.
I tried this morning to teach Elder taylor how to do the priesthood ordinances in Hmong, but he thought he all ready knew the best possible way.  Even though the way he is doing it is not even doctrinally correct, he refused to let me help him.  I sure wish that he would let me help him leaner Hmong, but that is his business.

Aug 18, 1991
Once again out attendance in sacrament meeting was up.  The worst part about today is that Zeb Muas and his wife did not come to church.  Because of that, we had to go and see them and tell them to call us when they were ready to study.  I absolutely hate dropping investigators.  I don’t know what that families deal is.  They certainly don’t seem to be too excited about doing anything, They just don’t have enough motivation to do much of anything, including cleaning their apartment.  I guess that when they feel a really need for the gospel, that they will come to church.
During priesthood, we planned a big social for Saturday.  It should be a really good opportunity for us to invite a lot of members as well as nonmembers out to socialize with the active members.  It should really be fun too.
I know that the Book of Mormon is true.  I know that the church is true.  I know that Jospeh Smith, Jr.  was a prophet of God, that Ezra T. Benson is a prophet of God, that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior and redeemer, that I can, one day, return to live with Him and my Heavenly Father, that through temple ordinances families can be together forever, that no greater happiness comes in this life than that of serving the Lord, and that God loves me.  I know that my Redeemer lives.  I write this in the name of Jesus Chirst, Amen.

August 20, 1991
Well, today was one of those days that we did not even get a chance to sit down.  We ran from one house to the next until I thought that I would die.  My knees are feeling much better.  The medicine that Dr.  Agarwal sent me did wonders for me.  I’m not saying that they don’t hurt anymore, but I am saying that they feel much better.  I would imagine that in a few weeks I will be over the whole things.
Today we ran into Nom Choj  It wouldn’t have been that big of a deal, but he head an unlit cigarette in his mouth.  He never did light it the whole time we were there.  Afterwards (about an hour later)  We showed up at his house and taught he and his family a discussion on the word of wisdom.  He said he would live it.  I felt like it was best not to confront him on the subject right then, but in a few days,  I think I’ll pull him off to the side and talk to him about it.  His wife is still not too big on the idea of being rebaptized, but she helped us fill out the recommends for her family’s baptism, so I guess that she is feeling somewhat better about it.
We really had a busy day.  I love to be missionary in the service of my Father in Heaven.  There is not anything else in the world that I would rather be doing.

August 20, 1991
Dear President Bott,
In absence of a "president's letter" form I am using this paper.  Things here in Stockton are going pretty well.  I called my surgeon at home to talk with him about my knees.  He had since sent out both my  records and some medication.  The medication had helped me a great deal.  I do not think it will be necessary for me to see a doctor here for quite some time.  My doctor says that in view of the fact that multiple surgeries have been performed on both of my knees, it is very probable that I have arthritis.  The medication which he sent has been very effective.
Things with Elder Taylor are going well.  During this past week, I have not offered any suggestions for improvements with this language.  That seems to be fine with him, but there are many  things that I feel I could help him with. What is my role supposed to be? Am I supposed to try to help him?  If I'm not, that's fine, but if I am, then I need to come up with some way to help him without making him feel a need to be defensive.  Thus far, I have failed miserably at that.  We get along great.  I just don't seem to have been able to come up with an effective way to offer advice concerning his reaching or language.  I have so much to learn.  Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever learn all that I need to.
We have some baptisms coming up on the 31st so we are definitely looking forward to that.
President, you might think this is a strange request, but I would like the chance to be companions with Elder Jasperson again before he goes home.  This may not be possible but if it is, I feel that I could learn a lot from him.
Thank you for all that you do for me, and please let me know if you have any advice for me.
Love, Scott Clarke

In reference to helping the Elders that you serve with, remember that "Caring creates faith" and unconditionally loving someone is the only way to influence them.  We show forth love and encourage them and that breaks down walls.  When walls are down then our spirits can communicate spirit to spirit through the Holy Ghost.  If you are aligned with you will with the Savior, then the conduit is open from Him to you.  If you love who you serve then it goes from Him through you to them.  You will be given the 'words of Christ' to speak and that will touch their heart.  Patience, love and persistence is required as we pray for guidance and listen to the spirit and go on the Lord's timing and according to his will.

Dad has a great example of humbly and appropriately presenting his desires to His mission president.  It is a great example for you to follow with both your leadership and in your prayers.

August 21, 1991
We are getting a set of couple missionaries here this mouth to work in our branch!!  I am so glad about that!  This branch needs someone with some song ability to teach President Young and the other Hmong men how to really be organized leaders.  I am so excited.  I really hope that the new couple had some go-get-‘em and a love for the hmong people.  i hope that all goes well for them here in Stockton.
Our day was kind of a slow one, but that’s all right I guess.  We spent about 5 hours at the church entering all of the changes into the computer for the membership list.  Our records are the worst.  There are just more mistakes in the branch records than could possibly be imagined.  Anyway, they are now in somewhat better shape, but we still have a long way to go.  I hope that the new couple will be able to help with that.
We were not able to contact any of our investigators today, so we spent some time checking up on referrals, but we were unable to find anyone who wanted to learn.
The condition of my knees continues to improve.  i am so grateful to the Lord for removing that obstacle to my work (for the time being.)  I don’t know what the future holds for my knees or my life, but I hope and pray that the Lord’s will might be done.

August 22, 1991
Well, we spent the greater part of out day today helping Mai Vang find and purchase insurance for her car i really hate doing stuff like that, but we have to take care of our members, especially those who do often go out of their way to help us.
Tonight we went down to Farmington to straighten out some more of our records mess.  After that, we spent some time playing dodge ball with a bunch of the children there.  It was really fun.  I’m not too sure why, but my comp has yet to play any games with any of the kids.  He won’t even play catch with them.  i hope that he doesn’t think that missionaries are “above” that or something.  Even the prophet Joseph Smith used to spend time wrestling with the kids.  maybe I’ll talk to him about it.
Nom Choj’s wife is feeling some what better about being rebaptized.  I hope that the Lord will see fit to help her through this.  We also need to get a firmer word of wisdom commitment from her husband.  I sure hope that all of this will pull together.

I got a letter from Grandpa Hansen today.  My mom told him about my knees, as if he doesn’t have enough things to worry about.  Anyway, it way good to hear from him.  I also heard from Eric today.  He is really getting excited about school (BYU) coming up.  I’m excited for him too.

No comments:

Post a Comment