Sunday, March 8, 2015

2/1-2/7/1992

February 3, 1992
Today was a pretty good day. Yesterday was elder Badel's birthday. And today we took almost a whole p-day, so the past few days have been pretty relaxed.
Tonight we went to see me and her kids. It is really sad to see her family in that kind of shape. I sure wish that there was something that I can do to help them. I can't believe that her husband could just run out on them like that. I wish that he would just hurry up and divorced her so that she can get on with her life. I am sure that theLord is allowing this for a wise purpose. I just wish that I understood a little more about what that purpose was. ( God can't intervene when people make bad choices, but he can use those circumstances for our growth. Just because something bad happens because of sin or others bad choices doesn't mean he wanted it to happen but he can use it. Because heavenly father foresees he already has contingency plans put in place.)
I am really concerned about Elder Jensen. He is a new Elder from Idaho in our zone. He seems to be quite homesick. He has a girl back home that is making things pretty tough on him. I am concerned because I think that he is entertaining the thought of going home. We will interview him tomorrow and see how he is doing. Elder Enos is his trainer. So he definitely has good supervision and help. Will just have to pray for him and try to help.
Yesterday, Daniel and his wife threw a surprise birthday party for my companion, so that was fun.
February 5, 1992
Today was really a good day. We were able to teach about five discussions and really had fun. Something really funny happened. See, Friday when we had our baptism, Elder Jensen who has been out of the MTC now for one week confirmed Pa A member. The funny part came when he went to give her the Holy Ghost. He said "we say unto you, receive the priesthood." I had to correct that and we went on as usual. He was really embarrassed.
The funny part came today when we went to teach her a new member lesson. She said, "I have the priesthood "that was hilarious! I didn't realize that she had even caught it. She was just kidding of course, but it was really a surprise to me. It was a riot.
The Lord is blessing our work here more than I ever dreamed was possible. We have been working hard. Really hard. I love it.
Elder Patel's dad called and wants him to go home in March instead of April so that he can go on a family vacation. That is causing Elderdale to do a lot of serious thought.
Well, I need to go to bed. Zone conferences tomorrow so I need to get to bed.
February 6, 1992
I am finally getting used to writing 1992 on the tops of my journal entries and on my checks. It's about time!
Sound conference today was nice. It is always good to have a chance to hear Pres. Bott talk. He has a great understanding of the Scriptures. I hope that one day I will be able to teach from the Scriptures the way that he does. I will just have to pay the price of years and years of gospel study.
I learned when really interesting thing today. Pres. Bott define the word covet for us in a way that I had never heard before. He said that to cut that something was to desire a certain thing without wanting to pay the price to get it. For example it is not wanting something that is a sin. The city comes when one is unwilling to pay the price for what ever it is that one wants. ( that is a very interesting thought to me because you could covet spiritual knowledge and gifts if you desire then but do not have the intention to work and to use faith to get them. Seeking for answers to just be told you without proper study prayer and fasting would be coveting. In a way Oliver Coudry was coveting the gift to translate because he did not seek to study it out in his mind he suppose that it would be given him. We should not desire things without the intention of doing the work to acquire them- mom)

He also stressed the importance of taking a P-day. He said that is something that he has a hard time doing, but we all have to do. Elder badel and I have committed to try to do better at that. ( today I was teaching D&C 88 and we were talking about the school of the prophets. In there several times it says the purpose of the school was to prepare them to be able to share the gospel. Your preparation days are to prepare you to have the spirit with you for the rest of the week. There are temporal things that you must do so that you can set them aside and focus on spiritual things the other days, but the purpose of a preparation day is to prepare you for the rest of the week not for vacation. There is appropriate rest though that is required so that we can be strengthened and do your duty.)

No comments:

Post a Comment